*Please note: the competition has ended.*
Times are tough for small businesses at the moment — tougher than usual. I went on at supportive shopping spree at one of my favorite places in Stockholm, Aeter & Essencefabriken. Now, I’ll share the bounty with one of you. But first, let me just stress that this competition is neither affiliated with nor sponsored by Aeter & Essencefabriken.
The magical Stockholm shop
Aeter & Essencefabriken in Stockholm is one of those magical shops that you’ll never forget. It is still in the same family as when it started in 1889. If you visit, you’ll see the original shop interiors, filled with essential oil bottles, large spice metal containers, and bags of unique spice mixes.
Not only is the staff incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. The store has such a stock of high-quality spices. Once you’ve tasted this cardamom, there’s no going back…
I love this place and hope you’ll get a chance to visit it, too. As that might be hard at the moment, I figured I’d offer one of Swedish Spoon’s subscribers some of my absolute favorites:
What you can win
Actually, I want to win this baking kit myself… Some of these ingredients can be difficult to find outside of Sweden, a couple of them are unique to this shop, and all are of great quality:
- Cedroolja. This rarely used lemony oil is one of my top “secret ingredients” — perfect for adding just a few drops to gingerbread cookies, biscotti, or a sponge cake.
- Arraksessence. Use this arrack essence to flavor the treats called “vacuum cleaners”, chocolate balls, or why not ice cream.
- Saffron. It doesn’t get much more luxurious than this. You can use this to make a saffron cake, saffron buns, or saffron pancake. Or, why not saffron-flavored dream cookies? Of course, a risotto Milanese isn’t a bad option, either.
- Cinnamon sticks. Grate these over oatmeal, add them when you make apple sauce, or save them for making glögg.
- Grated cinnamon. Cinnamon for your cinnamon buns!
- Kardemummakärnor. Grind this whole cardamom and you’ll have the basis for so many Swedish cookies and cakes. Cardamom buns are a favorite.
- Strindbergare. This mix for flavoring schnapps uses a recipe by none other than the famed author and playwright August Strindberg, who used to be a customer of Essencefabriken. If you don’t drink, it’s a nice gift for someone who does. Just add vodka or brännvin.
- Bread spices. This mix helps you flavor your next bread, whether crispbread, rye bread, or something else.
- Chokladdryck. Essencefabriken’s own ready-to-drink chocolate — just add the milk of your choice.
- Brända mandlar. These sugary almond treats are perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
- Jordnötskola and chokladkola. Two flavors of toffee — peanut and chocolate.
How to enter
- Comment on this post and let me know what you’d like to bake if you win the kit.
- Subscribe to the email list. This competition is only for Swedish Spoon’s email subscribers. If you aren’t already a subscriber, you can become a subscriber by entering your first name and email address below:
Rules and info
- This giveaway is in no way affiliated with Aeter & Essencefabriken.
- This giveaway is not sponsored — I bought these products at full price (estimated value: around $40, I bought a lot of things that day so I don’t have an exact sum).
- I pay for shipping. If there are any customs or other import/VAT charges, I’m afraid you’ll have to cover that. If I send it and you don’t pick it up, I won’t send it again — shipping is expensive 🙁 However, I can wait:
- If you win and you’d prefer for me to wait to send the package to you because of the current corona issues, I’ll wait with sending it until you feel it is a better time. Stay safe!
- The competition lasts until April 30th, 2020, midnight Pacific time. I’ll choose a random winner from the comments.
- I’ll reach out to the winner via email to get address details, etc.
- You don’t need to buy anything to enter (I don’t even have anything for sale). You do need to comment and to be a subscriber if you want to win, but you are of course welcome to unsubscribe at any time.
- You need to be above the age of 18 to enter, or else have your parent’s permission.
- Void where prohibited.
Good luck! Oh, and if you’re a darling, tell a friend about the competition. If one of you wins, you can bake together…